“I express my deepest sympathy to their mothers and their families,” he added.
In a statement released later on Thursday, the country’s health ministry said an emergency response plan had been put in place and “arrangements are being made for assistance to the families of the victims”.
The ministry statement added that Health Minister Abdoulaye Diouf Sarr, who is attending the World Health Assembly in Geneva, had cut short his trip and would return to Senegal today.
President Sall has called for an investigation to determine the cause of the hospital fire, the country’s Interior Minister Antoine Félix Abdoulaye Diome told reporters during his visit to the hospital on the night of Wednesday.
“Beyond that, he (President Sall) asked that we review all the equipment and infrastructure dedicated to newborns who need help with machines for their care,” Diome said.
“We are going to do it here in Tivaouane and in all the hospitals in Senegal where there is a neonatology service,” he added.
Senegal’s Minister of Territorial Planning and Local Government, Cheikh Bamba Dièye, called the fatal incident “horrible and unacceptable” while calling for an investigation into the country’s health systems.