Union Home Minister Amit Shah held a high-level security review meeting on Jammu and Kashmir following the recent targeted killings in the Union Territory.
News in brief
Union Home Minister Amit Shah holds high-level meeting on security in Jammu and Kashmir
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah held a high-level security review meeting on Jammu and Kashmir following the recent targeted killings in the Union Territory.
- The meeting began around 3 p.m. on June 3, 2022, in the presence of National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Union Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla, Army Chief Manoj Pande and Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Manoj Sinha.
- The high-level security meeting was convened as the three civilians and two security personnel were killed in May this year, including Hindus from Kashmir.
- Kashmiri Pandits from Jammu and Kashmir have also staged protests in Srinagar against the killings by the terrorists.
Pakistan raises petrol and diesel prices
- The Federal Government of Pakistan has raised the prices of petrol and diesel by Rs. 30 per litre. The new rates came into effect on June 3.
- After the latest round of hikes, the price of petrol in Pakistan rose to Rs. 209.86 and diesel to Rs. 204.15.
- The decision on the price hike was announced by Pakistan’s Finance Minister Miftah Ismail.
- The move came just hours after the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority approved a massive increase of Rs. 7.91 per unit in the electricity tariff.
- Apparently, with the new rise in the electricity tariff, the price of petrol and diesel is expected to increase from Rs. 16.91 to Rs. 24.82.
MoUs signed between India and Senegal
- India and Senegal have signed three MoUs for cultural exchange, youth cooperation and visa-free regime for civil servants.
- The MoUs were signed after delegation-level talks between Indian Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and Senegalese President Macky Sall in the capital Dakar.
- The Vice President, during the meeting, assured Senegal of India’s continued commitment to supporting the socio-economic development of the country.
- The Vice President of India also commended Senegal for positioning itself as one of Africa‘s model democracies.
Indian Railways Strives to Accelerate Rameswaram-Dhanushkodi Railway Revival Plans
- Indian Railways has been working to fast-track revival plans for the Rameshwaram-Dhanushkodi railway line.
- Almost 60 years after Dhanushkodi was wiped out by a devastating cyclone in 1964, Indian Railways constructed the 18 km railway line.
- Railways has started the process of acquiring the land for Rs. 733 crore project, the foundation stone of which was laid by PM Modi in 2019.
- According to railway officials, around 20,000 tourists were expected to visit Rameswaram by 2041, and a large portion of them were likely to visit Dhanushkodi as well.
Famous Santoor maestro Pandit Bhajan Sopori has passed away
- Santoor maestro and renowned music composer Pandit Bhajan Sopori has passed away. He was undergoing treatment at Fortis Hospital in Gurugram.
- He was diagnosed with stage VI colon cancer and the disease had spread to his liver and bones.
- Pandit Bhajan Sopori hailed from Sopore Valley in Kashmir and belonged to the Sufiana Gharana of Indian classical music.
- He gave his first performance at the age of 5 in 1953. During a career spanning several decades, he performed in England, Egypt, Germany and the United States.
Take weekly tests on the app to prepare for exams and compete with others. Download the Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए पर वीकली वीकली लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा।। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐप