The shooter reflects on the circumstances he says surrounded their meeting with the Pharaohs in March
Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy has claimed Senegal felt robbed against Egypt in the first leg of the World Cup qualifiers in Cairo.
The Pharaohs hosted the Teranga Lions and won 1-0, but the Blues keeper believes the non-functioning video assistant referee worked against them.
“The match we played in Cairo was very difficult, we were disappointed after the first leg loss,” Mendy said as quoted by KingFut.
“VAR wasn’t working and we felt robbed.”
In the second leg, Senegal fought back and scored an early goal that pushed the game into extra time and the West Africans emerged 3-1 winners in the post-match penalty shoot-out.
“We were disappointed when we arrived in Senegal, but the fans supported us and gave us the reason,” added the goalkeeper.
“In the second leg, we scored an early goal, and it was a memorable night. It was magical.”
After the loss, Egypt were unhappy as they feared the game was taking place in a worrying environment and requested a replay.
Gamal Allam, the Egyptian FA chief, went on to say that Mohamed Salah was the target of Senegalese fans as the Liverpool striker was at the center of the fan disturbance.
The World Cup qualifiers were the second meeting in short succession between the African rivals after meeting in the Africa Cup of Nations final in Cameroon earlier in February, where Senegal also won by a shootout. Mendy was happy with their run in continental competition despite the challenges they faced.
“We were the best team in the tournament. We started our journey with ten cases of Covid-19 in our ranks, but we overcame the difficulties,” he concluded.
On Friday, Mendy was named in the Senegal squad that will face Benin and Rwanda in the upcoming Afcon 2023 Final qualifiers to be held in Ivory Coast.
Meanwhile, Teranga Lions, Tunisia, Morocco, Cameroon and Ghana will represent Africa at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.